Oct 28, 2008

To Blog or Not To Blog? That is the (Trivial) Question.



To blog or not blog? That is the question that has run through my head at various times throughout the last few days. I know, it’s a silly question to worry about from day to day. Blogging isn’t my job, posting isn’t an alternative stream of income for me, and, if you can believe it, blogging doesn’t even net me anymore girls. That last one really sucks considering “more chicks” was the primary reason I started music blogging. Even though I know I don’t have to do this, I also don’t want this blog to die because of my own lethargy. So after a week of serious soul searching (thanks Oprah), I remembered the second reason I started blogging. I started blogging to share music I like, music I like a lot, hell, music I love. [cue the theme from Captain Planet] That’s right. I’m back baby!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, the Priors, I love ‘em. They could be my new favorite group if they just release some more music. Formed by life-long musicians Yann Destal and Rawman, Priors sound like France’s answer to Australia’s Empire of the Sun in the French-Australian electro war played out over on hipsterrunoff.

I can’t think of any other word to describe What You Need, the singular song on their myspace page, than “glorious”. The track opens with some of the smoothest vocal harmonizing you will find this side of a 1950s barbershop quartet and continues throughout the song as the smooth French house-pop instrumental induces a state of euphoric ease in the listener. I know the phrase “euphoric ease” may seem hyperbolic but listen to What You Need and tell me you don’t feel like your floating threw the air, bathed in golden rays of light.

Priors – What You Need [YSI]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I admit that I’ve arrived late to the YACHT party. Lucky for me they haven’t embarked on their journey through the sea of indie-blog-fame. If I would have arrived to the party a few months later, like in 2009 when their first album is released through DFA Records, it would be uncool for me to become a new fan. Lame, I know but that’s the rule, I didn’t make ‘em, I just follow ‘em. So enjoy Summer Song while you still can, it is awesome, which goes without saying if you know the reputation of DFA Records.

YACHT – Summer Song [YSI]

Update: Info for my fellow Texans, YACHT will be performing in Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin on November 6, 7, and 8 respectively. Wait, San Antonio?!?! WTF?!? Austin, I got it, I understand, you’re the cool kid in the group, I know. Dallas, okay we’ve been losing out to you for awhile now, I’ve learned to accept it. But San Antonio, really? I don’t mean to hate on San Antonio, but um, San Antonio sucks. There, I said it. I heard only ten people live there. Ten people and they all work at the Alamo. Houston couldn’t even get a Sunday show? Shit!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been searching for another great remix of Move ever since hearing Cut Copy’s take on the Cansei de Ser Sexy single. The original is another one of those spectacular indie-pop songs that, in my opinion, are so great I can’t understand why they never make the jump to mainstream success. It’s truly perplexing. But back to the moral of this story: I found another great Move remix when I downloaded the Frankmusick remix. Frankmusick uses heavy repetition of vocals and instruments from the original track and combines them with his own original production creating a whole new song that still sounds familiar and new at the same time. Wow, at the same time?!??! Yes, at the same time.

Cansei de Ser Sexy – Move (Frankmusick’s Club Bingo Dub) [YSI]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the release of the new Bag Raiders EP and the release of their new double disc mix CD over the weekend, the name Bang Gang has been on every music blog within the past two weeks. All this hype and attention is not undeserved however, any release with the Bang Gang name attached to it is quality work. The Drugs In My Body remix starts with a two minute synth buildup before giving way to the awesome bassline used in the original track. The rest of the track shifts in-between buildups, breakdowns, and good times.

Thieves Like UsDrugs In My Body (The Bang Gang Deejays Remix) [YSI]

No comments: