Aug 5, 2008

I Visit The Forums So You Don't Have To

With all this hurricane-induced free time I thought I might troll around on a couple of forums.

Lowbee
Lowbee is always a solid forum to pick up anything from the newest pop-rap, actual old school electro, bmore, new electro, numerous remixes/re-edits, DJ mixes and everything else. The registered members are mostly DJs so the replies are usually informative and knowledgable. It's a great beginner forum, that's easy to navigate plus you'll usually find something good every other day.

Treasure Fingers' Cross The Dancefloor EP just dropped today over at Juno, so Flufftronix has posted his remix up on the forum. As a person who played out the original about 6 months ago, Flufftronix's rework of the song is refreshing. One commenter, fittingly named "nonsense", says he doesn't like the remix cause it doesn't keep any elements of the original. I have to disagree, the lyrics are still "shake it cross the dancefloor", it's not like they are singing in Spanish now. Plus that's kind of the point of a remix, switching stuff up to make it new.

Treasure Fingers - Cross The Dancefloor (Flufftronix Remix) [YSI]


Burntpiano has this to say about his cover of Kids by MGMT posted on lowbee.

"It was a slow day at work today, so I was messing around with some new synths, trying to find new sounds. I started playing everyone's favorite synthline, and one thing led to another, and I had a half finished track. I went home and finished it up. The track I guess really isn't a remix, but rather a cover, since I didn't use any elements from the original. And the vocals (which may piss some off) are from a computer. Not anything trying to replace the original or the upcoming soulwax remix, but just something fun."

Damn, I know I don't do shit at work but this dude takes the cake. All I do is read blogs and chat on aim, Burntpiano is over here creating tracks. Badass.

MGMT - Kids (Burntpiano Robo Remix) [YSI]

And to finish things off with lowbee and show you the variety of stuff posted on this forum, here are two funky remixes from Bobby LaBeat.

Archie Bell & The Drells - Tighten Up (Bobby LaBeat Rework) [YSI]
Public Enemy - Bring The Noise (Bobby LaBeat Remix) [YSI]



Erol Alkan Forum
The Erol Alkan Forum is a UK-based blog mostly populated by Englishman but you'll also see some French (the actual language). With almost 70% of the posts being new mixes from up-and-coming producers, the "post your music" section is not as fruitful or diverse as its low bee counterpart. However, Hostage, Loud Pipes, Night Facilities, Coin Operated Boy and many more have all posted heat on this board though, so don't count it out as a place to only get mixes.

Loud Pipes - Shift [YSI]
Jean Moustache - Choucroute (Dahut Edit) [YSI] [direct download] Dahut myspace





SoundArea.org
Lastly, we come to SoundArea.org. This forum is HUGE, it's by far the largest forum in which I'm a member. There is no shortage of music here in the form of podcasts, mixes, full albums (in which I do not condone), singles, everything. They even send out an email weekly with about 15 links to their most downloaded tracks. Its crazy. The only problem is that 90% of the music is what I would consider euro-trash techno. You seriously have to wade through page after page of stuff like Donkey Rollers, DJ Tiesto, or Cascada to get to anything new, relevant and now. Don't mean to sound like a prick or anything but who listens to that stuff now?

Anywho, they do have a nice navigation bar that breaks the styles down to "House", "Hardstyles", "Trance", "90s", "Black". Wait, "Black"? Yeah, they actually title the section with rap and R&B, "Black". And America is supposed to be a country of racists.

And on top of all of that, to download a track, you have to to reply to the topic in which it was posted. It's a pain. I would recommend leaving this one for the real desperate music seekers like myself, you really don't have enough time for SoundArea. Here is the Laidback Luke remix of Madonna's 4 Minutes I picked up today.

Madonna - 4 Minutes ft. Justin Timberlake (Laidback Luke Remix) [YSI]

2 comments:

Flufftronix! said...

haha! this reminds me I should go post that track on the erol board. thx for posting mon ami

Anonymous said...

I really like this remix of Kids.I've never heard of Burntpianos, but if you got more;post it please.

I would just like to remind everyone that MGMT will be playing at ACL in Austin alongside N.E.R.D., Gnarls Barkley, Foo Fighters, and CSS on September 26-28. Support em' so they can keep making the music that we all know and love.

Keep it Gangsta Bitches!!!