Jun 9, 2008

New Hollywood Holt Video, Bobmo Track



I never understood why, but a couple of years ago mainstream music listeners were told to believe Houston was some kind of renaissance hip-hop town. The nation was enthralled with the sample-heavy hooks, talks of purple stuff/lean, and screwed and chopped albums. There was Slim Thug, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Chamillionaire and others I can’t remember because of their overwhelming mediocrity. I’m not “hatin” or anything, I respect these rappers “grind” and I love the way they “repped” Houston but I was not too excited about their MTV-fueled movement. MTV needed a new trend after Crunk fell to the wayside and Hyphy failed to make it out of the Bay, so they dubbed 2005, "The Year of the Screw". While the country rushed to buy grills and sit sidewayz in there newly aquired slab, they were slow to realize that none of these artists made innovative music or possesed much lyrical skill. They simply made what I like to call "suburban hood music", not too misogynistic, not too many references to sex, and not too much talk of doing or selling drugs. If Goldie Locks had to pick between three rap albums she would probably pick Paul Wall’s The People's Champ. The nation’s interest didn’t last too long (predictably), and now Mike Jones never has to worry about the hoes being all on him anymore.

I have a feeling he could chew through a car door.


Now that I’m through stabbing my own city in the back, I want to know where is the MTV special for the Chicago area. I’m not even talking about Kanye and Common. Where is the special for the Cool Kids, Hollywood Holt, Million $ Mano, and Kid Sister, etc. Chicago has been on fire for the last two years and it seems like mainstreamers are clueless as a bunch of squirrels wrapped in tin foil. Maybe there are no more MTV/mass media movements; maybe all movements take place online now. If this is the case, Chicago has received its fair share of hype on the Cool Kids alone. Anyway, all that was to introduce this new video for the track Hollywood from Hollywood Holt.

Hollywood Holt - Hollywood [YSI]

This track by Bobmo was included in a mix put out on Arcade Mode earlier this year. I couldn’t find this track anywhere online so I thought I would throw it out here and see if it sticks.

Bobmo - Turn On Cop Out [YSI]

Update: So, the internet goblins stole the HH video from youtube right when I'm trying to do a post. You can still see it here.

2 comments:

Doneski said...

I'm digging BOBMO's stuff a lot. He got a really bad review in the May Mixmag, but you know how that goes. Thanks for this tune.

Getback Skeeza said...

That this Bobmo track is pretty cool. Me like!